Deal Breakers on Homes for Sale in Marysville
May 1, 2018
It can be tempting to put an offer on the first house you find that meets most of the criteria on your “list.” This is often not a good idea. Before you place your deposit on one of the excellent homes for sale in Marysville, you need to complete a thorough home inspection.
Some failings that can be overlooked. Outdated wallpaper and appliances, as well as questionable paint choices can be easily fixed. There are some problems, though, that are deal breakers. Here is what to look for:
- Roof problems. Check for dry rot, broken or missing shingles and ask how old the roof is. Get an independent inspection.
- Is the home in a flood zone? Water does not need to be nearby to be susceptible to flooding. Flood insurance can dramatically increase your out-of-pocket costs. Check with the authorities about potential flooding issues and ask the seller about flood prevention measures that they have instituted.
- Plumbing difficulties are not often visually apparent. Observe for mildew, water stains, sagging floors, ponding in the yard, damp basement and the condition of the water heater. A plumber is the best source for information about problems at the home.
- Electrical issues may stem from an obsolete system. This can be a significant fire hazard. Replacing aluminum or knob and tube wiring in older homes is quite expensive.
- Like a vehicle history report, finding out about prior home repairs and renovations is wise. You should also learn if the house has been involved in a crime or if a death occurred there.